Below is the newest information from Librarians without Borders:
Trip Participants will travel to Guatemala to volunteer at the Miguel Angel Asturias Academy in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala (known locally as Xela). Work at the Academy will include cataloguing, processing, programming, organization and teaching English, in addition to other library related work. Other activities include sight-seeing, cultural visits, and workshops designed to give participants a comprehensive understanding of libraries, education and culture in Guatemala. Trip participants will also have the option to choose a weekend activity (visit scenic Lake Atitlan, trek to one of Guatemala’s volcanic peaks, or visit the mountainous Ixil region).
- Implementation of a working ILS and lending system at the Asturias Academy.
- Information literacy, collaboration with Asturias teachers and integration into curriculum.
Housing and Food
While in Xela, participants will stay at the COFA Catholic Retreat Centre. Most meals will be provided by a local family, or at local restaurants or eateries. Vegetarian options will be available.
All trip volunteers are expected to…
- attend briefing meetings (held online) to discuss projects and receive training on Asturias Library systems. These meetings are mandatory for all volunteers.
- join and contribute to a working team before the trip.
- participate in pre and post trip assessments (e.g. evaluation survey).
The program fee includes: lodging, food, entrance to all activities and transportation within Guatemala. $150 of the program fee is paid as a non-refundable deposit. The fundraising fee will go towards funding the Librarians Without Borders program at the Asturias Academy. Trip participants are responsible for paying for their own airfare. All fees are in US Dollars.
- Guatemala Information Meeting – February 10 – 8PM EST. Online meeting location: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/32636309/18438747
- Application Deadline – February 18
- Successful applicants selected and notified – February 22
- Deposit due – March 1
- Program fees and fundraising due – March 22
- Trip waivers due – April 1
How to apply: submit application form to firstname.lastname@example.org