I am happy to finally be able to announce my new position. I will be the Director of Highwood Public Library in Highwood (Lake County), Illinois. I will begin in mid-April.
Highwood Public Library serves a community of around 5,000 residents. The community is diverse, but energetic and active. The library itself has been neglected for the last few years. Many of the residents likely use Highland Park Public Library or another local library.
My first 6 months will look something like this:
1. Weed the collection down to 40,000 volumes (currently around 75,000). 35,000 is the benchmark compared to libraries of similar population size, budget and EAV.
2. Implement a new ILS system (likely Evergreen or Koha).
3. Totally renovate the interior (paint, new carpet, new bookshelves, new furniture) including adding a teen space, creating a meeting room and conference room. The renovation will take place in the summer, but I am very hopeful that we will not need to close.
4. Revamp the collections including adding other formats.
5. Add several programs for youth and adults.
6. Fund development. Create a 501c(3) foundation to allow tax deductible donations.